Luminary
0 Kudos

Breath of the Wild Amiibo Craze

As with all my purchases, I never intend to buy it.... that is....  until I do.

When I don't have much to do; in between playing Zelda and checking out **competitor**, I would browse Best Buy for the latest games. Yesterday night the amiibo The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Zelda said it had 1 online in stock and since it was only $21 I hurried to buy it. The rest of the amiibo collection wasn't available so I had to chase down another supplier to buy the remainder of the set. 

The crazy part of this, once again right now, at Best Buy, there is 1 available and of course it has been snapped up within minutes. It seems that Best Buy is selling them 1 by 1 preventing a single order from ordering more in one order.

I don't need this but yet I find it compelling to buy the whole set. My OCD is calling and I'm not happy because after researching this, another 4 more limited zelda amiibo are coming out later this year. 

Already I've spent more than $300 due to the mark-up from limited supplies.

This is crazy...

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Breath of the Wild Amiibo Craze

Interesting.... just managed to snag one of the Wild Guardian Amiibo.

It does seem that Best Buy is selling these hard to get Amiibos one by one. Thus if you are lucky enough and at the right time, and if you enter your order in quickly, it is yours.

This amiibo is almost imposible to get at the regular price and is selling for 3 times the current regular price everywhere else.

The thing is, I'm not buying it for the NFC tag that gives you items in the game. I am actually buying it as a collection for display. I wasn't about to join this craze, but there is something about buying an item when it is the last one in stock. I think this is true for many online retailers where they show a stock count of 1 and of course for the impulsive buyers, like me, I click on buy. 

I'm stoked!! 

Luminary
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I counted my amiibos before it got shipped; apparently my Guardian is out of stock and my order is now in stasis pending arrival of new stock. Can Best Buy cancel my order later on telling me that they don't have stock?

I'm guessing it must be a glitch in the system where... perhaps someone returns an item at one of the store and the count goes up by one and thus allowing anyone to order.

I've been watching the amiibos and almost managed to order the "Zelda: Twilight Princess wolf link" amiibo which retails for 3 times the price elsewhere. However even though I see a checkmark on the "Available online only", it shows "Sold out online" after you click into the item to buy.

I've never been a collector before and from the looks of this, there are people attempting to buy these at exorbatant prices. I have no idea of what I'm buying and why I'm buying into this, but yeah... this is crazy...

Luminary
0 Kudos

So after spending days on all retail avenues trying to buy the amiibos at the lowest prices, got two from Best Buy with the guardian in  stasis of which I might cancel, I came to the conclusion that this inflated Amiibo market is fake.

People are buying them up in hopes to flip it at a higher cost but the real people that actually wants the amiibos are not really willing to pay the higher prices; so you have a stalemate.

How do I know? because unfortunately through all my buying frenzy, I ended up with two of some of the figures. When I try to sell them on Craigs at the same price that I paid for them, thinking that there would be buyers, I find none. Checking with some of the postings that are asking for the same price as I paid for it, I find that their post has been up for weeks.  The only buyer is me who is trying to complete a set.

How many buyers that are like me (that comes late in the game) are out there? All the people that has wanted the set has already pre-ordered or have completed the set long ago; leaving only the sellers that are trying to sell the amiibos at thrice the price.

This market created by Nintendo by limiting the supply really destroys whatever love I have for Nintendo. Like their Nes Classic and soon to be released SNES Classic, Nintendo is just trying to create a demand for a limited supply. Even though I love their amiibos, I cannot enjoy their products when I have to keep my amiibos in their original boxes. In fact I had to buy a set of amiibo cards that has the NFC codes just so that I can enjoy my purchases.

I have completed my BOTW 5 Amiibo set and will hopefully pre-order the champion set if available. However this is my  last and only foray into the world of Amiibos. I am tempted to collect the 30th Aniversary set but just the  Link Skyward Sword is priced at a crazy $100. 

I am not a collector and I really do not like selling them.  

Luminary
0 Kudos

I have become a collector. I have a spreadsheet that indicates all the amiibos that I have and the ones that I'll be buying. I even have a column indicating the price that I had paid for the amiibo so that in the future, I'll be sure to resell it at least at the price that I bought it for.

Thus I bought the "Link Skyward Sword" for $80 from the same person who was selling it for $100 without blinking an eye, nor ranting or raving about how unfair it is.

When I first foray into this shady business of buying amiibos from what I had thought, was scalpers, like the ones that buys up the Switch when it goes on sale, just so they can sell on Craigs for a $100 more, I was imagining the same for all the amiibos. Here is what I had imagine an amiibo seller would look like.

scalper1.jpg

However the ones that I've met are just basically gamers. This doesn't mean that there aren't any scalpers, people that are trying to make a quick buck and so on, but as I found out today when chatting with one of the real amiibo sellers (still mainly a gamer though but have sold quite a few amiibos), trying to predict which amiibos will be popular and will be sold out (which increases the value of that amiibo) is almost impossible.  Like my "Link Archer" amiibo, he explains, that this Amiibo is still available at certain toy places. Best Buy, of course, had a restock just recently, so those amiibos that had been restocked are now selling at a lower price or not re-selling at all. It is difficult and almost impossible to make a living out of this, he says as you don't have a constant supplier. 

The "Link Skyward Sword" seller was definitely not an amiibo scalper but rather a Zelda collector that has been collecting these amiibos for over two years and this particular one "Skyward Sword", she had two; one given to her by a friend after she had already bought one. She had been trying to sell it for over a month already at $100 and she told me just to be patient on my re-selling of my Link Archer Amiibo; somebody will buy it.

Yesterday night, I got my "Link Twilight Princess" amiibo from another couple who is into playing BOTW and told me how to beat the lynels in the DLC. We sat and chat at McDonalds.

Today, I spent several hours chatting with the guy who sold me my "Wolf Link - Twilight Princess", who also gave me an extra  NFC chip that I could use to scan in my Wolf Link into my game that automatically has 20 hearts. We sat in my car talking about everything from PCs to NFC writers on which amiibos are based on. 

On the other side of the coin, it is really agravating to send emails to people that doesn't answer you because most probably they have already sold the amiibo that you really really wanted and now you have to wait for some other collector to sell theirs. You cannot simply click and buy like you do at Best Buy.

I am slowly learning to become patient with both selling and buying.

I am very tempted to buy everything at a one-stop-online-shop but the rewards of finding a lower priced Amiibo from someone is who is selling locally versus an online shop that is charging four times the price, is sometimes very rewarding. 

It is my new hobby. Watching Best Buy everyday for any Amiibo restock and hitting refresh every few minutes.

Unfortunately, I did not learn my lesson in time to keep my order for my Guardian pending. After watching the "out of stock" being "out of stock" for many days, I simply told them to cancel the order. If I had been a true collector, I would have just waited it out and when a re-stock occurs, my order would have been fulfilled. Then I would have two Guardians, one to sell and one to keep.

A die hard collectors (not me), will usually buy two of each amiibos; one to open and play with and one to collect.

So there you have it. If you want to explore a whole new world of real people that has the same love of the game as you, look no further than the Amiibo collectors. 

I did buy the last Zelda (BOTW) from Best Buy and it will arrive tomorrow. This was the Amiibo that started my whole aventure into Amiibo collecting. I will not be returning this amiibo to Best Buy for a measley $22 refund but rather I'll be selling it for $1000 (wahahaha - evil laugh).

I figure, one day.... my grandchildren will find my collection.... and will open them all up Smiley Sad  I'll have to hide them all when they do come over to play.... :-P 

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So this was a very short lived adventure as I'm now almost done with collecting everything Zelda. I've traveled well over a few hundred kilometers, in search of rare amiibos and I'm very tired of this whole affair of collecting.

I was told that this amiibo fad is dying by a real collector, when asked why he was selling his collection. Seems legit as the few duplicate amiibos that I had simply would not sell no matter how low I go. 

I also got swindled on one purchase where the box was creased and that is not acceptable in the collectors world. It was my fault as I just glanced at it before purchasing. 

Also not only is there a USA version which is the version that is being sold at Best Buy, there are also other versions like the Japanese versions which you can get at a much lower price everywhere. Then there is the European version that fools you because it doesn't have Japanese on it, making you think.. aha... a cheap USA version, but nope, it is a European version which means that if you were to try to sell to a real collector, its nope... no sell... 

Anyways, all the real collectors already have everything. There is not many noobies like me on the market trying to buy up everything he sees at which all the sellers are jumping with joy since their posts have been posted forever and here comes a noobie that is paying premium for something they bought for $15.

I am a fool and a poor one at that as I think I've spent over a $1000 on this fad. 

So a warning for those who are just starting to collect amiibos, my advice is DON'T.

However now that I've almost completed my set, just missing the ocarina of time Link, I will just wait for the champion set and I'll be done. Yes, I'll no longer buy any other amiibos after this. :-P

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Nintendo's practices for releasing amiibos have killed that market, leaving only scalpers who buy up everything right at the start only to sell it for exorbitant prices. I'm not sure why Nintendo only releases one limited run of the things, because ultimately they lose because they're not making any money on the resale of them.

I have most of the Zelda amiibos - didn't really get in on the BotW ones because I didn't like their look, and I'm disappointed I missed out on the latest release (equally disappointed that they went all retailer exclusive for this, so one had to shop at multiple locations to get them all). Hoping to get my hands on the Champion series, but if not, oh well. I've been opening them all anyway, because as a collector's item, I don't see them being worth a crazy amount of money in the long run, and I figure I might as well get some enjoyment out of them now while I can. Eventually all they'll be good for is sitting on a shelf, and if they're rare enough, I'll still be able to make more money than I paid for them if I decide to sell.

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

Most collectors buys two of each amiibo; one to play with and one to collect. Thus I have become a true collector in that I'm in the process of collecting a full set that I can play with. To keep it simple on the first day, I had intended just to buy the BOTW amiibos, but by the time I reach the second day I was once again buying anything that I could get my hands on. :-P Some things never change.

It is a little bit easier collecting an open set as I've managed to buy a few, open - out of box, amiibos for a price closer to the retail price of $15 rather than paying $40 for a pristine boxed amiibo. I also have the option of picking up the cheaper Japanese version to add to my collection since they are identical to the North America version.

So far I've spent about $900 for 18 boxed Amiibos and that is now a complete collection; averaging about $50 per amiibo.

I expect to spend about $600 for the open box Amiibos set of which I already got a few for about $15 each, but there are a few amiibos that I cannot get away with paying anything less, like the Skyward Sword Link which averages between $40 to $100 for the amiibo no matter which country you buy it from. 

I figure... if it not this (amiibo collecting), for my obsessive-compulsive-behavior, then it would be something else.

Luminary
0 Kudos

So I want to write up about "how out of my league" I am with my collection.  I met a real collector/scalper today. We talked for about an hour standing in the parking lot where we agreed to meet. I was floored by all the information she told me about the industry and apparently she is well connected.

Lets put it this way, my collection is basically worthless because it is a hodgepodge of first/second/third waves with bent corners and probably marred plastic covers. She told me that it would probably be worthless in less than a year or two as everyone forgets about them as well as the price that everyone is paying now will be killed by a christmas wave of re-releases of the all the amiibos due to the champion set being released. Thus everyone will buy them at $15 versus the average $40 per dogged-ear amiibos that everyone seems to be scrambling for. 

I see that even now as the average player doesn't want to buy an amiibo from someone that is selling it for 3 or 4 times the original pricing. As I mentioned before, it seems that I'm the only one buying at the moment. How can I tell? easy by the fact that there are a limited number of posts that people are selling amiibos and they don't change over a three week period of time. The same amiibo that they were selling 3 weeks ago is still available until I come along and buy it at $80 for Skyward sword; I am the only one. I am a fool.

My postings do change and it isn't the fact that I sold my amiibos. In fact I sold none. I had 3 amiibos for sale and nobody called to inquire. The reason that my postings do change, is that I actually returned my duplicate amiibos, losing my shipping price, but it is still better than holding on to it and having nobody buying it.

The collector/scalper told me that amiibo sales has gone down this year for Nintendo in comparison to last year and it is only a matter of time before it dies out completely. She buys them in 3's she says; one to keep, one to open and one for in case. The boxed versions are always first wave, meticulously encased in a plexi glass enclosure and kept in a dark room at a certain degree temperature. My jaws just dropped as I heard that. In addition to this information, she has every Amiibo from day one. In comparison, I have 18 dog-eared Amiibos.

So I'm re-accessing what to do with my boxed collection. It is complete in terms of the Zelda game, but I am an amateur. Perhaps it is best to get out of this collecting game and just buy it to use in-game with the game. No idea. 

It was nice to meet someone that is absolutely more obsessive and compulsive than I; it makes me feel so normal. 

This will be my final post about Amiibos as I go and hide my head in shame for my feeble collection. However, I will most definitely buy at least one set of the Champion Amiibos when they are realeased in December; well maybe two or three....four?

Legendary Epic Genius

It's always risky collecting for investment purposes.

If you enjoy opening and playing with your Amibos, then enjoy them.  However, I don't think they are a good long-time investment as they are designed to be collectibles from Day One.

I've been a collector for a long time and I used to buy a lot of speculative items, but now I've learned to pick my fights and only get items that I want to keep.