Reply
Highlighted
Luminary
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-06-2017

Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro

I've been a PC game player for all my life and it is only recently that I've swapped over to the consoles for my gaming needs. 

 

I had always thought that since all the games that I bought are disc based, 1TB on my PS4 Pro would be enough room for the data portion of the game. When I started to get errors when downloading from the **competitor**, I discovered that my 1TB hard drive was full.

 

Full of what?

 

Apparently the games that I've been playing of which they are all have been Disc based. Farpoint (16GB), Dragon Age Inquisition (48GB), Fallout 4 (35GB) and more, have been patched and copied to the hard drive. The problem isn't just the room that they take up, but all of them needs the disc as a key in order to play them. 

 

The reason that I bought the discs was that I was thinking that I'll save room on my hard drive. If I bought the downloaded digital copy, I would have the convenience of starting the game without the disc.

 

Well if this is the case, your 500GB of storage on the original PS4 won't be enough.

 

However the good news is that since PS4 patch 4.5 in March, we can now use an external USB drive, but you can only use one. You cannot use several at the same time and it cannot be attached using a USB hub. Also it needs to be formatted into a Sony formatted disc; read all of this on the internet. 

 

I'm buying the largest USB hard drive that the PS4 will support and that is the 8TB version. Now we know why Sony gave us the ability to add an external USB drive and here I was thinking 1TB will last me a lifetime Smiley Sad

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎09-02-2015

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro

It's pretty ridiculous. I had to upgrade my 500 gig HD to a 2TB earlier this year because the games were just too big. Call of Duty Infinity War/Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered take up more than 100 gigs on their own, and I need the disc to play them. I've filled about 600 gigs now, so hopefully I'll be okay for awhile or else I'll need to get an external as well (which they patched in literally 2 weeks after I bought the 2TB internal).

 

Is there a reason why Sony continues to force disc owners to need to install the games? Surely there's a way to run off a Blu-ray Disc without needing to install the core game.

Luminary
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro


pikachuforever wrote:

It's pretty ridiculous. I had to upgrade my 500 gig HD to a 2TB earlier this year because the games were just too big. Call of Duty Infinity War/Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered take up more than 100 gigs on their own, and I need the disc to play them. I've filled about 600 gigs now, so hopefully I'll be okay for awhile or else I'll need to get an external as well (which they patched in literally 2 weeks after I bought the 2TB internal).

 

Is there a reason why Sony continues to force disc owners to need to install the games? Surely there's a way to run off a Blu-ray Disc without needing to install the core game.


 

disc copy protection. Unlike PC games that has a serial number that can be locked to run from hard drive, Sony has no way to determine that you still have the original disc. They should allow you to play off hard drive and spot check you by having you insert the disc randomly.

 

if I knew that, which I do now, I would most likely buy the game off the **competitor** when it is on sale just so I don't have to insert the disc; however the downfall of digital only, is that you cannot sell it afterwards.

 

Yeah I have the Call of Duty infinity too but haven't had time to play it. Out of the 30 games that I picked up on sale during Christmas, I've only played a handful and thus I have to have the 8tb drive. If I have all my games installed plus the new games, I'll probably fill up the 8tb in no time. 

 

It is what it is... 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro


ralphael wrote:

disc copy protection. Unlike PC games that has a serial number that can be locked to run from hard drive, Sony has no way to determine that you still have the original disc. They should allow you to play off hard drive and spot check you by having you insert the disc randomly.

if I knew that, which I do now, I would most likely buy the game off the **competitor** when it is on sale just so I don't have to insert the disc; however the downfall of digital only, is that you cannot sell it afterwards.

Yeah I have the Call of Duty infinity too but haven't had time to play it. Out of the 30 games that I picked up on sale during Christmas, I've only played a handful and thus I have to have the 8tb drive. If I have all my games installed plus the new games, I'll probably fill up the 8tb in no time. 

It is what it is... 


So why does Sony not have a serial code system like they do for PC? It seems like console gaming is moving closer towards being like PC, so why not just go the extra mile?

Luminary
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro


pikachuforever wrote:


So why does Sony not have a serial code system like they do for PC? It seems like console gaming is moving closer towards being like PC, so why not just go the extra mile?


 

No idea,

 

you would have to ask Sony but I am sure it open up a whole new can of caveats like transfering serials, keeping track of serials so any future installation will delete the first installation and so on.

 

I never sold my PC game discs though, like I'll probably own my GTAV forever or until I throw it into the trash as PC games don't really have any resell value where-as disc based consoles like Sony does because it is not tied to a serial.

 

 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro


ralphael wrote:

 

No idea,

you would have to ask Sony but I am sure it open up a whole new can of caveats like transfering serials, keeping track of serials so any future installation will delete the first installation and so on.

I never sold my PC game discs though, like I'll probably own my GTAV forever or until I throw it into the trash as PC games don't really have any resell value where-as disc based consoles like Sony does because it is not tied to a serial.


Well isn't the greater idea to eliminate used game sales? Isn't that why there's a bigger push on digital?

 

Just sounds like we could have solved an issue. I don't buy used games, so it wouldn't affect me much but I know it will affect others. But if it makes the installs smaller...

Luminary
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro

yes/no... it isn't a serial protection that we want but rather the ability to play without inserting a disc; perhaps a NFC code which is similar to a serial but hardware bounded with the disc case. If that NFC code is used elsewhere, your copy will deactivate.

 

The problem with going full digital is monopolization. I bought a previously played Dirt Rally at Best Buy for $14 and Sony was still selling it for $92 with VR; the VR update is $17.

 

So I don't fully agree to going fully digital where we get monopolized by one seller.  Full digital would mean you own nothing and Sony controls you and the download. 

 

There are a lot of games that shouldn't be at full retail value after several years but yet if you check the online store you will see a lot of older titles still selling for full retail. You can get older games on disc for $19 each at Best Buy.

 

I manage to buy a lot of my games on sale at Best Buy during Christmas/black fridays and so on. Recently Best Buy had Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV and Tomb Raider on sale for almost half the original retail price; Sony still has them at the original price.

 

Although I don't expect to sell my games, it can happen and at least everything that I own will have some worth. A serial number will probably destroy all value associated with the game disc just like PC games.

 

Did you know that 3DS cartridge games have their own comodity? like Starfox has been discontinued from Nintendo and is worth just slightly more than its retail value when sold new. I have a bunch of 3DS games that you simply cannot get them anywhere anymore and they are worth $40, well perhaps to another 3DS collector. :-P

 

 

Luminary
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro

so an update on this PS4 first world problem...

 

The first caveat to an external HDD is the HDD is plugged in front, using up one of two USB ports on the PS4 pro.  If you have a PS4 slim and using it for VR, you might not have enough USB plugs as the external USB drive cannot be plugged into a USB Hub. 

 

I got my WD 8TB drive and have formatted it to Sony Proprietary format and currently in the process of moving 900GB of Apps (games) over to it (will take 120 minutes), freeing up the main system HDD for Sony's junk like photos, update data, of which I read, not everything gets to reside on the USB drive.

 

The last USB port connects my Logitech G29 steering wheel. I think, at the moment that is really all I need. So all USB ports are in use; one for VR, one for external HDD and one for the G29.

 

Such is life... ramein noodles for supper tonight... oh and eggs... 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 530
Registered: ‎03-28-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro

Not a PS4 guy, but it's the same with the Xbox One. No matter what you do, the game is installed onto a hard drive, and the disc is only used to verify the license for the game so that it can be accessed. The difference between the digital and physical copies of games is literally that the digital copy has the license installed on the hard drive. I've re-purchased games digitally that I traded in months prior, usually due to a drop in price (got Titanfall for $5 digitally, for example), and if I had forgotten to delete the game off my hard drive, after purchasing there was a small download (10MB or so) which installs the license onto my hard drive that wasn't there before.

I've pretty much exclusively gone digital except when I save money on good sales from retailers. This is because we own two Xbox Ones, meaning that I only have to buy a game once for it to be used on both consoles at the same time (it's also meant I only need to buy one Gold subscription and every account in the house is covered under it).

It also means that I never have to worry about misplacing a disc. If my hard drive gets wiped or my Xbox crashed, I simply have to replace it and then I can get access to all of those things without issue. If I lose the disc, I'm hooped. I remember when I upgraded to the Xbox One S from the original, all I had to do was sign into my gamertag on the new console and then I was back to exactly the way things were before. All my pins and other settings were back where they were, and when I plugged by external hard drive in, all my games were there, ready to go. It was great.

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Heads Up - Ran out of Hard Drive Space on my PS4 Pro


Juice0904 wrote:

I've pretty much exclusively gone digital except when I save money on good sales from retailers. This is because we own two Xbox Ones, meaning that I only have to buy a game once for it to be used on both consoles at the same time (it's also meant I only need to buy one Gold subscription and every account in the house is covered under it).

It also means that I never have to worry about misplacing a disc. If my hard drive gets wiped or my Xbox crashed, I simply have to replace it and then I can get access to all of those things without issue. If I lose the disc, I'm hooped. I remember when I upgraded to the Xbox One S from the original, all I had to do was sign into my gamertag on the new console and then I was back to exactly the way things were before. All my pins and other settings were back where they were, and when I plugged by external hard drive in, all my games were there, ready to go. It was great.

JB

Is losing the disc really that big of a concern? I usually put it back in the case when I'm finished playing -- so I'd have to physically lose the case in order to lose the disc.

 

But knowing this now, my bigger question is why Sony/Microsoft aren't selling systems with bigger harddrives. 500 gigs clearly doesn't cut it, and 1 TB seems like it's barely passable.