Pioneer

Nintendo Switch Game Prices Are Anti-Consumer - Explanation is Needed

[ Edited ]

Future games for the Nintendo Switch are priced at $99 CAD - $20 above the conversion rate from the $59 USD MSRP price.

This is extremely anti-consumer, and I would be interested to know whether Nintendo is setting this price, or Best Buy is.

The main argument I've seen is that Best Buy is trying to protect themselves should the CAD tank and game prices go up. This is extremely anti-consumer. It is unethical to charge $20 above the MSRP conversion rate and expect the consumer to bear the risk.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: Nintendo Switch Game Prices Are Anti-Consumer - Explanation is Needed

It's all the other retailers too. They say it's a placeholder price but I beg to differ. Other games are listed at $79.99. So all these ps4, Xbox one, of games are listed for $79.99 that even have release dates 2018 but Switch games list at $99.99 doesn't make sense compared to the listed US price.

Started with Super Mario Odyssey and if these Nintendo prices stay and other platforms don't they are just digging a hole.

If our dollar drops $1.66 to $1US then we got serious issues to make a $59.99 US game $99.99
Pioneer
0 Kudos

Absolutely - that's why I want to know if Nintendo is setting this price or the retailers are.

It's extremely telling that games that are releasing within the next month or two are the proper $79.99 price, while most games releasing late 2017 or further are $99.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

What makes it extra funny is the dollar has actually been doing pretty good lately.   For example it actually went up today!

"I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Canada."
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I personally don't think retailers are responsible for this. The 3 major video games retailers have the same exact pre-order price. And as for as I remember for Mario Odyssey, the price of the game all went up approximately at the same time on all 3 sites...
Pioneer

That's exactly why an explanation is needed. If Nintendo is setting these prices, then that's a different issue.

However, I highly doubt that's the case, as most Nintendo Switch games are still priced at $79.99, especially at release. Furthermore, retailers in the US have the correct MSRP of $59.99 USD, which is nearly exactly $79.99 CAD.

We're just getting gauged. 

Luminary
0 Kudos

It is Nintendo that set these prices depending on region. There is a bunch of things that causes the price to go above just the exchange rate. You still need to account for inflation, remanufactuing of the game (dual languages), must meet cetrain reglatory rules, what consumers are willing to pay without saraficing profits (market size), and the biggest one if they have DLC and if it's included in that price. Why I say DLC is the biggest one is look at BF1 the base game is 80 but the one that comes with DLC is like 100-120 I believe. If you look at the cost of the game the only place that has it for that cheap is the US since AUS and EU are about the same price as CDN.

Luminary
0 Kudos

These prices were 100% set by Nintendo, as they've been doing the same thing for the past couple of years. We saw the same thing with Pokemon Sun and Moon last E3, and, more recently, with Breath of the Wild earlier this year. Each time, the price went down in the end to a more standard price, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. WIth Best Buy, you can always cancel the order, or return it if you live close enough to a store. I would just recommend checking the order after it ships to double check the price you were charged, as Best Buy stopped sending invoices with their orders.

The Captain
0 Kudos

So listed at $99.99 with 20% E3 discount we are back to $79.99, The price of a regular game **bleep** kind of deal is this?

Luminary
0 Kudos

I think it's ridiculous that the games are that much and the only time you can get a 20% discount is ordering during E3, and when they do go down to $79.99, SURPRISE! You don't get any discount at all! What a great deal.