The Captain
0 Kudos

upgrade the HDD on the PS4

I was wondering what the best option for upgrading the HDD on the PS4, External or Internal and what brand works the best?

Thanks.

Luminary

Re: upgrade the HDD on the PS4

On the PS4 you're best to upgrade the internal HDD since sony hasn't added support for playing games off external yet unlike the Xbox. Current limitations is really the physical size of the drive since you can only have it up to 9.5mm which puts you at the 1tb size. There are a few 2tb ones that will fit but those are fairly rare.

HOWEVER you could always use http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nyko-nyko-data-bank-for-ps4-83223/10366950.aspx?path=f2cf069934c... and the only downfall is that its big and bulky but it will allow you to go upto a 6tb 3.5' drive.

Luminary

I upgraded mine back around New Year's and used a Seagate Back Up Plus Slim 2TB. It's a drive small enough to fit without the ugly Nyko expansion thing and gets you up to 2TB, which is a pretty significant jump. 

The Captain
0 Kudos

I thought you couldnt use an external HDD?  Can you save and play games off it?

Luminary
0 Kudos

What he/she means is you take the HDD out of the seagate enclousure since they are slim drives.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Yup! That's exactly what I meant! Sorry for not clarifying. As far as I know they haven't changed that you can't play/save games from an external. You can play media off an external now though.

The Captain
0 Kudos

So i will just replace the exsisting HDD, but how do i transfer everythig from the old to the new?

Highlighted
Luminary

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

summary : save stuff to ext hdd, download system software onto usb, replace drive, reinstall system software, copy back data from ext hdd