Pioneer
0 Kudos

My Nintendo Switch pre-order was cancelled without warning

So I pre-ordered the Switch from Best Buy. A day later, I got an email asking to call them to confirm my billing information. I thought it was strange because I've bought from Best Buy with the same account, same billing address and same credit card before.

I called them and told them my address, and they said it was fine and I would get a confirmation email. Then the next day I get ANOTHER email asking me to call them to confirm my information.

I call them again and they said that there was a problem with my apartment number, but that now it was fine. Keep in mind that I haven't changed my billing information or credit card since my previous successful orders.

Then the next day, I got an email saying my order was cancelled.

I called them and they said it was because they couldn't confirm the billing address with my bank (I guess they meant credit card, no bank was involved). And they told me to just order it again, and they could notify me when it comes back in stock. That's obviously useless, since it will not be back in stock before launch. And if somehow it did, by the time I see any notification it would already be sold out.

I asked them why they cancelled it without warning. If the credit card didn't go through or whatever, I have other credit cards I can use. Or I'd even buy a gift card and put that on my account to pay for it. They just shrugged and said it's done automatically.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he said that as compensation, they could give me 10% off when I order the Switch again. Which is again useless.

I am extremely upset, Best Buy screwed me over and did absolutely nothing to try to fix it.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Re: My Nintendo Switch pre-order was cancelled without warning

I just realized something. On January 5, 2017, I pre-ordered Mass Effect Andromeda with the same credit card and billing address as the Switch. That never had any issue and I received no emails asking to confirm the billing information. It is still valid as of now.

So now I can only assume that Best Buy is lying to me for some reason.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey, @Celda.

I'm sorry to hear about the experience. I have taken the liberty of escalating your issue with one of the teams in customer service here at the head office. Someone will contact you by email at the email you provided in your forum profile. They will be able to provide any further assistance and answer any questions regarding what you described.

Regards,

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Hi Terence, thank you for doing that. No one has contacted me from head office yet.

However, I have been continuing to email with the same thread that I started from previously. And I am not happy that I keep getting lied to.

I was told by "Lewis" the following:

"Our sincerest apologize for this inconvenience however we are able to see that the Nintendo Switch with grey Joy-Con is still available due to this we kindly suggest you that you replace the order for the Nintendo Switch with grey Joy-Con and we will apply the 10% discount for this inconvenience as a one time courtesy for the inconvenience.

Please be advised that the reason why your order is failing is because we are unable to contact your contact your bank to verify the payment. "

Obviously, that was completely false. I did check just to see if somehow it was true, but of course both versions of the Switch were and are sold out. And no bank was involved, it was just a credit card. And as I said, a pre-order of Mass Effect Andromeda from just a few days before with the same information, is still valid and had no issues.

When I replied to them asking why they are telling me obvious lies, "Selena" replied with the following:

"Thank you for your email. It appears that your request has already been taken care of. If it has not been resolved to your satisfaction or have any further questions, please call us at 1-866-BESTBUY (1-866-237-8289)."

Needless to say, this is terrible service.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

If you live in the Newmarket area @celsa there a gaming store still taking preorders
Pioneer
0 Kudos

Hi @BBYTerence, I have not gotten an email from the head office. Can you tell me when I should expect them to contact me?

Thanks.
Community Manager
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey. They normally respond within 24 BUSINESS hours. Sometimes sooner. Be sure to check your junkmail just in case.

If you have any other questions regarding getting in touch with them, send me a private message.

Thanks.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

The exact same thing happened to me.  I successfully pre-ordered the Switch. Then a short while later Best Buy cancelled my order.  I've been going back and forth with their Customer Service and have been trying to reach their senior executive team to complain and have my order re-instated.  I'm glad I came online and see that this was not just me.  It strengthens my case.  They tried to tell me that I cancelled my own order, which is absurd since I spent hours trying to secure the order and was finally able to get one and PAY for it.  

Forum moderator...if you can please provide me the email address of Tony Sandhu, Phil Arrata and Thierry Hay-Sabourin as they do not list their emails anywhere on your website, but I would like to speak with them directly.  I have not gotten a satisfactory response from Customer Service and they continue to tell me to "patiently wait".  

Luminary
0 Kudos

Just wondering but how were you able to pay for it already? Pre-orders from BestBuy dont charge you on your method of payment until time of shipment. Nonetheless I hope you get your preorder back but no worries the switch is something that will not run out (unlike other nintendo products like the NES).

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

good riddance