Windows 8

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

[ Edited ]

Windows 8 has a minimum screen requirements of 1024x768 in order to run metro-styled apps.  However, most netbooks have lower screen resolutions than that.  This means none of the new metro-styled apps will work.  While legacy desktop apps work, there is no sense of running Windows 8 when you can only run desktop apps with it (mind as well stay on Windows 7).

My netbook has a resolution of 1280x720, which is fairly good for a netbook, but not enough to run metro apps on Windows 8.

So if you are thinking of upgrading your netbook to Windows 8, be aware of this limitation.

Juice0904

Re: Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

A lot of laptops I've seen when doing research have usually have a resolution of 1366x768, and some of the higher end ones (even in 15") have 1440x900 resolution. I think the main area you're going to run into problems is the netbook category.

Regardless, it's a good thing to note. Thanks for the heads up!

JB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the star!

mtrump

Re: Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

Sorry - the body of the message should read "netbooks" not "laptops". The subject of the message says "netbooks" but somehow I use the wrong term in the base of the message.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.