Windows 8

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

[ Edited ]

Windows 8 has a minimum screen requirements of 1024x768 in order to run metro-styled apps.  However, most netbooks have lower screen resolutions than that.  This means none of the new metro-styled apps will work.  While legacy desktop apps work, there is no sense of running Windows 8 when you can only run desktop apps with it (mind as well stay on Windows 7).

My netbook has a resolution of 1280x720, which is fairly good for a netbook, but not enough to run metro apps on Windows 8.

So if you are thinking of upgrading your netbook to Windows 8, be aware of this limitation.

Trusted Expert
Juice0904

Re: Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

A lot of laptops I've seen when doing research have usually have a resolution of 1366x768, and some of the higher end ones (even in 15") have 1440x900 resolution. I think the main area you're going to run into problems is the netbook category.

Regardless, it's a good thing to note. Thanks for the heads up!

JB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the star!

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

Re: Caution: Windows 8 and netbooks

Sorry - the body of the message should read "netbooks" not "laptops". The subject of the message says "netbooks" but somehow I use the wrong term in the base of the message.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.