Windows 8

Visitor
Angeee

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I am getting concerned. I have been using windows 8 consumer preview for a number of months, I like it very much and I have pre-ordered Windows 8 Pro from Future Shop. My concern is that I do not think there is any way to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from the Consumer preview and that it requires a clean install. I do not want to lose any files or programs and aps that I have. Is there any way around this and if not what is the best way to back-up "everything"? I am not very savvy when it comes to issues like backups or file and program management so any help or references would be greatly appreciated, thank you!.

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Win8 Consumer Preview is beta/testing software and should not be depend upon for  "production" work.  As such there are no official upgrade paths from Preview versions to RTM.

There are people who have posted some "unofficial" upgrade methods and those articles are just a search away.  Note that Microsoft does not approve of this and if you run into bigger problems later, you'll have to do a wipe and reinstall regardless.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.