Windows 8

Announcements

Today we announced that Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Please visit the Best Buy Plug-in Computers forum to get your questions answered.

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador

Windows 8 Pro vs. Windows 8 Pro Pack: differences explained

If you go to the store, you may find two packages:  Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Pro Pack.  They look similar, and currently priced the same.  So what's the difference?

Windows 8 Pro is for customers who already have WinXP/Vista/7 to upgrade to Win8 Pro.  By default, it does not come with Media Center; however, for a limited time you can add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro for free directly from Microsoft's site.  (By extension, Windows 8 - regular or Pro - will not be able to play DVDs by default, unless you install Media Center or 3rd party DVD player software.)

Windows 8 Pro Pack is for customers who bought new PCs that comes with (standard) Windows 8, and want to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center functionality.

What if you say "I don't need all the features in Windows 8 Pro.  Can I just get Media Center for my (regular) Windows 8?"  You can't - you cannot get Media Center on top of (regular) Windows 8 without upgrading to Windows 8 Pro.

Visitor
Job Title: Associate
Store: Dixie & Dundas

Re: Windows 8 Pro vs. Windows 8 Pro Pack: differences explained

[ Edited ]

good job making the differences for people! alot of people who come to upgrade should know the differences if they are going to upgrade!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.