iPad, Tablets & eReaders

Contributor
shonline

Re: Steve Jobs posts a letter on Flash and the iPad/iPhone

"Apple's tight-fisted management of the platform is what is ruining the iPad/iPhone/iPod experience for millions, though, and the source of this debate."

It is Apple's platform.  I can tell you that the experience is in no way "ruined". In fact, this is the greatest security for users down the road and is the EXACT reason I , and millions, prefer Apple devices.  We don;t need the freedom to install every single thing out there, only to find that we have to reboot all day after crashes etc...

Apple products work now, and will always work as advertised until the end of their realistic life cycle.

Did you buy a "Plays For Sure" device only to have MS cancel the program and release the Zune?  Examples like this abound.

People forget that UNTIL the iPhone, smartphones were a joke.  They built this ecosystem themselves from the ground up.  The iPad will change computing forever. Apple is making sure that this time, they keep the hand on the wheel a lot longer than they did with their OS.

A good perspective:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/middleware_and_section_311

S

Exalted Expert
roparadi
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

A good read there.  I agree with most of it, such as the following:

I don’t know that Apple is right. As I said above, de Icaza’s perspective — that these decisions and risks should be up to individual developers to make — is utterly sensible. Siracusa is exactly right that this is a wager from Apple. Apple is betting its entire mobile future that their developer platform is better than everyone else’s.

This is my point.  Apple is telling people what they need, and that they are the only ones who can give it to them.  Even if they are(arguably) the best mobile platform at the moment, I guarantee that they will not be forever.  There's nothing to say that there won't be a much better toolkit out in 6 months, or a year, but with Apple's recent changes, even if there is it won't be able to be used.  This is where the innovation restriction occurs.  This is also why I predict that Apple is shooting themselves in the foot, and ruining the iPad experience.  It may be good now, but it won't progress as it would with more developers and more input and contributions(the whole idea behind the idea of a competitive market).  And that leads me to the other way to word the complaints about this topic.  Some say that this move by Apple is anti-competitive because it forbids others to compete with Apple's SDK and toolset.  What would happen if Microsoft suddenly changed their agreements to say that in order to develop for Windows you absolutely must use their Visual Studio products?  They would be sued, and lose.  What's different about Apple's move?

shonline wrote:

It is Apple's platform.

Windows is Microsoft's platform as well, but they are not allowed to control it as tightly as Apple is theirs.  Why is that?  There are alot of people out there that think that Apple is building a monopoly and should be sued over this issue.  You have to buy your hardware from Apple, you have to buy your apps from Apple, you have to beg and plead Apple to do anything else with your product.  It does kind of sound like a monopoly.

Robert Paradis
ConnectPro Online Support Expert

Contributor
shonline

Nice Cherry picking of the info on the link I provided. 

Monopoly:

Monopolies are characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.

Apple has PLENTY of competition for all of its products.  In fact, it has less than majority marketshare in most. You mis-use the term.

This thread has now turned in to an anti-Apple tirade by many who have not done much reading about the topics at hand but instead who cling to urban myth and PS spin as their facts.  I have done my best to point out the obvious to many and will now move along.

The iPad is a wonderful device and I highly recommend it.

Enjoy your open MS, Linux and Android platforms.  I hope the innovation you seek is there.  With the exception of Android - very little innavtion in these types of dvices has ever come from MS or Linux.

I find all of the high ranking posters in the FS forums to be very anti-apple and unwilling to listen to another point of view. Some have been rather nasty. Robert has been the nicest anti-apple person here.  Kudos to you Robert.

I am certainly sorry I ever took time to join this "community"

Good luck to you all.

S

Exalted Expert
roparadi

It's been a great discussion so far, shonline.  I applaud your opinions and present my own, as well as those of others.
shonline wrote:

Monopoly:

Monopolies are characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.

Apple has PLENTY of competition for all of its products.  In fact, it has less than majority marketshare in most. You mis-use the term.

I need to clarify myself here.  Apple's monopoly is on the software that can be used on their platforms.  Just as Microsoft lost an anti-trust lawsuit over having a monopoly with Windows related products, Apple is in the same boat now.  Their hardware has plenty of competition, yes, but where is the competition for their App store, or their toolkits to develop for the iPhone/iPod/iPad?  There isn't any, because Apple has forbidden it.

Also, I apologize if you feel we're being blind and aren't taking your views into consideration, but I think this discussion is very helpfull and productive on both sides.  I'm not trying to disregard your comments or opinions, merely to provide counterpoints to give the full picture, as well as insert some of my own opinions.  Anyone who reads this will decide their own side, so having information from supporters and those against is great for them.

Robert Paradis
ConnectPro Online Support Expert

Exalted Expert
Krypto

[ Edited ]

I think this has been an interesting discussion, and the one thing to remember here is that many of the recent points haven't exactly been for or against Apple, but rather to state what some of the issues people are currently having.

The monopoly comment is a legitimate one, and Microsoft got in a lot of trouble several years ago over this.  Given what happened with Microsoft, Apple could easily end up in a similar situation.  Whether it will happen or not, we shall see.  I won't state whether I think it would be a good thing or not, just that it is a definite possibility.

shonline, don't worry, I don't think people are trying to go against you or Apple.  They are simply stating what they think are their concerns, and many of those concerns are legitimate concerns.  They are also concerns that others have had with regards to other companies.  Even people who like Apple products and want the iPad are sharing some of these concerns.  Basically, what it comes down to is no one likes to be told what they can and can't do, even if it's for their own good.  And ultimately, our best interests are being decided upon by one person or group of people, which a lot of people take issue with (for example, would you buy a bicycle if you were told you could only use it on bike paths that had been developed specifically for it and you couldn't use it on regular streets or other paths? Chances are, you'd think a little harder about purchasing that bike versus the one that let you go where ever you wanted).  As you stated though, we can choose whether we support this or not via our own wallets.

The iPad is a very interesting device, and not just in regards to the technology in it, but also in how polarizing it has been.  I'm still interested to see just what will happen as a result.

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
shonline

If yo accept the argument that Apple has a monopoly on iDevices...:

Sony has a monopoly on items they build. Their product will not talk to Pioneer via the little sync cable. Sony is therefore a monopolist and hurting me?
LG has a monopoly on items they build.
Sharp has a monopoly on the items they build
etc...

Why does everyone paint Apple with MS's brush? Apple may have large market share in certain devices, but they are not forcing you to buy them. You don't need them. That iPod is not essential to your business, or to national security. Apple lowers their prices while adding features regularly. The constantly improve both the hardware and software.

Read about the Flash issues here:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...dobe-vs-apple/

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...e-flash-myths/

I for one do not miss Flash at all. It is mostly there to serve ads anyway - not content.

I can understand developers not wanting to work harder or learn new tools but they are thinking like PC users and not Apple usera. That is NOT an insult or in any way a criticism. But as a guy who switched to Macs a few years ago in an instant, I had the same surprises and so I understand why you feel that way.

A few years later now, I just "trust the force" of the whole ecosystem and find it works flawlessly and easily. But, you gotta buy in to the whole tomato.

I agree that the iPad is amazing. I can't wait to see what happens with it over the next few years. Like iPhone, which is due for a HUGE refresh in June (finally a front facing iChat camera!!) this will keep getting better and better - because Jobs sees this as the future.

Should be fun!

Exalted Expert
Krypto

(DISCLAIMER:  This is only being posted as a FYI due to the previous nature of the conversation here, not to cause any further arguments).

It would appear that the US regulatory bodies might actually be a little more interested in Apple's rules with regards to third party developers than we might have thought.  According to this story in the New York Times: LINK, Apple is beginning to attract regulatory interest over some of it's heavy handed policies.

Now then, don't confuse this with saying that Apple is getting in trouble.  At this point, it may simply be an investigation to see if there is anything to the "concerns" people are having.  It may have been triggered by the Flash debate, but guaranteed that's not the only reason behind it.

At this point, this is all still speculation, and if there is anything to it, it will likely still take years to sort out.  But for those who are unhappy with the current system, big brother seems to at least be looking into it for you.

(Again, please don't read more into this as simply trying to provide some news.  It is not meant to be anti-Apple or pro-Apple.  It just is what it is.  Thanks).

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Visitor
Vonn

Re: Apple iPad

Just bumping this thread to get any info on when the iPad may be available for purchase IN-STORE!

I know it's available for Pre-Order through Apple directly as we speak but i'd love to walk into my local Future Shop next friday morning and pick one up.

Recognized Expert
PowerPipes

Hi Vonn,

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll end up finding that nformation posted into this thread. 

It will however likely make a flyer when the product is coming up availlable at the retail outlets Such information would be news worth in my mind :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps

Visitor
camerman123

what i think should happen is apple should put a camera on the ipad!!!!!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.