Emerging Expert
JuliaF

New iPad/iPad 3/iPad HD

[ Edited ]

The new iPad was just announced - here are the new specs for the new iPad, rumoured to be called "iPad 3" or "iPad HD":

- Retina display

- 9.7" screen with 3.1 million pixels in a 2048 x 1536 arrangement -- that's 264ppi -- higher resolution and better colour saturation.

- iSight camera (5-megapixel camera, same optics sensor from the iPhone 4S)

- A5X chip with quad-core graphics

- 1080p video recording

- Voice dictation (there is a new microphone on the keyboard)

- 4G LTE (not supported in Canada)

- Apple is working with Rogers, Telus and Bell in Canada

- 10 hours of battery life

- 9 mm thin, 1.4 lbs (slightly heavier than the iPad 2)

- Same pricing as iPad 2 at $499 (US pricing) for the 16GB

- New iPad will be available March 16

- Available in both black and white

- iPad 2 will continue to exist with price drops

I am definitely buying one!

Julia
Online Manager, Future Shop
Visitor
lachliggity

Re: New iPad/iPad 3/iPad HD

meh.. its not that great.. just has a better screen and better graphics (to support the better screen)..  the CPU is the same as before and it is now heavier because it needs a bigger battery for the LTE power usage.. Siri does just dictation which android tablets and windows pc's have been able to do for years now.. only a 5 megapixel camera (not even the same as the iphone 4s)

What does this thing have over something like the 200 dollar playbook? 

- just LTE (which is coming out soon), better screen and a bit better CPU/GPU, and apps

not really worth 300 dollars more in my opinion for those few things

Visitor
Britaniola

When will it be available for pre-order on-line/in-store?

BTW...When you register for the forums here, there is no option for the Newfoundland time zone in your TZ drop box.

Bill

Visitor
andrepratt

Hello, sources say it will be available on March 16th in Canada. Is that true? And if so, will it be available in the Future Shop in Dartmouth Crossing? Thank you

André

Visitor
andrewphinney

will they be sold at futurshop in canada on the 16th of march at 5pm?

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

When previous high-demand Apple products were released, there would be various announcements from the media or twitter that caused ugly huge lines in stores and malls openings.  Many would sleep overnight in front of stores with a faint hope enough product would be available the next morning.  I hope Future Shop is more classy than that.

When Nikon announces a new camera body or lens, I walk into my camera store and put down a few hundred dollar deposit.  When it arrives days, weeks or 6 months later (Nikon 18-200mmVR).  I get a phone call to visit the camera store and pay the balance to collect my treasure.  Occassionally I would visit the store and be told I'm #5, #30, or #50 on the waitlist.  Simple and low stress.  The store also does not need to deal with crowd control issues.

If people want the very first Future Shop iPad and pay a premium for the prestige.  Perhaps a few Future Shop locations should put a dozen iPads on an auction site.  Any excess proceeds could go to one of Future Shop's many charities as a fundraiser.

http://www.futureshop.ca/community-relation.aspx

XL

Re: New iPad/iPad 3/iPad HD => website ready!

I noticed the website now shows the prices...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/apple-ipad/28777.aspx

When are they taking orders???

Visitor
Stuart4321

Will this be available to pre-order on the website?  Available for purchase on the website on march 16th?  Or only available in the stores on March 16th?  Limited quantities?  Which stores will have these?  This will be my first Apple product adn I'm looking forward to this one!  I've played with my friends IPad 2 and it made me drool for one of my own.

XL

[ Edited ]

You just missed it.... it was available online on the website 6 hours ago.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.