Visitor
haven_seeker

Bose QC3 or QC15's?

Alrighty. I've come a long way to get to this message board, and it wasn't easy.

A year and a half ago, I got my first Ipod and I was looking for an awesome pair of headphones. I saw the Bose On-Ear's @ $239.99, and so I asked the guy helping me: "Can I try these before I spend that much money on them?"

His reply: "Unfortunately, you have to buy 'em to try 'em, but you can always bring them back if you don't like them. But trust me: You will."

With that I was on my way out the store, and when I got these things on, I was flabbergasted. These were the best headphones I have listened to in my whole life, and this was using an MP3 player!

Now I'm here, ready to make the jump to an even greater product: Bose's Quietcomfort series. But I'm torn. Both the QC3 and the QC15 have pro's and con's, and I'm not sure what to buy. At first, I was pretty confident in my selection of the QC3 as "obvious" replacements for the On-Ear headphones, due to their similar look, feel, and weight.

But reading further into the differences between the two products, there are some important things to consider. Money is no object at this point because the difference is fifty bucks (more or less; you'll see what I mean in a moment). So whaddowedo? To put things in context, I will be using these for travelling on air flights and such.

BOSE QC3 PRO's

-astonishingly true-to-life sound

-lightweight, comfortable on-ear design (5.2oz vs 7.3oz)

-design allows for ears to breathe better

-more breathable allows for increased comfort in prolonged listening sessions

BOSE QC3 CON's

-earcup design does not allow for maximum noise cancellation

-the battery is propietary and lasts only 20 hours per charge

-a second battery (which is a must) adds $59.99 to the price, and these are already $50.00 more

-since I'm buying these for travel, I also need a travel charger kit, which is another $59.99

BOSE QC15 PRO's

-apparently improved sound design over the QC2 headphones (tuned for maximum accuracy)

-enhanced noise cancellation technologies and design allows for maximum NR effect (better than QC3!)

-one AAA battery lasts up to 35 hours (no propietary battery or hassle of carrying a charger)

-no need for additional accessories, just the headphones, cable, and adapter

-$50.00 cheaper, but actually it's almost $200.00 cheaper considering I don't have to buy the accessories like I do with the QC3's

BOSE QC15 CON's

-heavier weight, can reduce comfortable listening time length

-around ear design produces and retains more heat, does not dissipate as well as on-ear design

-larger, bulkier, and less portable/travel-friendly

Those are some serious points of contention on all fronts. What would you do? I was immediately drawn to the QC3's based on my experience with the On-Ear headphones and their near-identical appearances, but when I got down to the nitty-gritty I became completely torn and unable to decide.

Let me know what your thoughts are!

Contributor
Ricky

Re: Bose QC3 or QC15's?

Hi ive read your review on both the Bose QC3 and Bose QC 15. Unfortunately i would have to say that the Bose headphones are overprice for what they are, you are only paying for its name, and comfort. As for the design, it looks cheaply made. Now ill give you my review on the Bose QuietComfort 15 since i demoed them on my mp3 player before.

The Bose QuietComfort 15s offer superB noise cancellation over its older brother the Bose QuietComfort2s and also the QuietComfort 3s which are an on the ear design rather than around the ear.

The design of these headphones look classy and eye catching with the Bose name printed in black on both sides of the ear cup surrounded by a metal like chome.

The comfort on these headphones are absolutely comfortable no complains here the cushion are really soft and are made of leather (i think) (except that you`ll sweat in them for wearing them over an hour or so)

When it comes to sound quality it is only average and the sound is not worth the amount of money you are paying for these headphones. But the sound did improve over its previous model the Quiet Comfort2s the highs were improved but only to a satisfied level of clarity. (Ive heard much much better clarity in this price range trust me) Midrange has also improved but only to a satisfied level, and again it could be much better. As for the Bass, its less Boomy than the QuietComfort 2s, but the bass is also leaning towards the punchy side which is a plus, but it could used with more clarity and accuracy. The one thing that i still dont see an improvement is the location of where the sound is coming from, everything sounds all over the place, theres no sense of spacing, everything sounds congested rather than everything being opened up and seperated, allowing air to breath into the sound. Overall sound quality is only average here nothing special.

Heres the the feature where the Bose QuietComfort 15 stands out to be the top headphones (Definately not in sound) but in Active Noise Cancellation. In the previous model the Quiet Comfort 2, it only had one microphone to cancel out ambient noises like a fan, train, vacuum etc. but now the QuietComfort 15 has one inside the headphones and also outside, which suprisingly blocks out even more ambient noises than ever before reducing unwanted noise even further. As for other noise cancelling headpĥones only using one microphone to cancel out sound the QuietComfort 15s uses two.

For people who are looking for headphones for travel, especially on an airplane i will highly reccomend you purchase the Bose QuietComfort 15 or if your the regular listener who just wants average sound quality and also noise cancellation for other purposes than get theses headphones. However if your an AUDIOPHILE and are looking for crystal clear sound quality in all ranges than i absolutely reccommend you stay away from these headpĥones at all costs. And also there non noise cancelling headphones. These headphones are primarily use for travelling and for the regular listener only. (not for AUDIOPHILES) when it comes to sound quality iit is not worth the amount of money your paying for these headphones (as mentioned above) You can get far better sound quality in this price range much better than the Bose QuietComfort 15s and believe me Ive heard much. much. better.

Visitor
gordr

Hey Rick,

I'm a musican (classical pianist) just beginning to explore the world of headphones.

I have a set of Bose QC15s out on trial.

Anything in the audiophile category (similar or lower price range) you'd recommend I try – especially in the on-ear category?  Thanks ... gord

Recognized Expert
Evan_F

Hi Gord,

We carry a few headphones that most would categorize as reference grade or audiophile grade headphones and IEMs (In-Ear Monitors).

The most recent series we've started carrying are the Shure SRHs (240, 440, 750DJ, 840). Click the model numbers for their product pages. Also, I should note all of these are circumaural (around the ear) rather than supra-aural (on the ear).

The SRH840 is probably up your alley if you enjoy music related to your choice to instrument, the piano. It has a fairly clear response from bass to highs, so you will not encounter that heavy mid-bass muffling that most mass-production headphones have. The 840s have an above average soundstage/headstage for a closed headphone and do give you a decent passive isolation, as opposed to the powered isolation that the Bose QC and Beats headphones have. A fault you may encounter is the coiled cable, which most people aren't the most accepting of and to counter this, Shure offers a straight cable replacement (the cable is detachable). They're also built like a rock and I would be absolutely fine if someone asked that I throw them out my second story window.

As for IEM, we carry a mid-range line from Shure, the Sennheiser IE6 and the Monster Turbines actually offer a much better sound and value than their Beats series.

For a more spot on suggestion, Audio-Technica, who we are affiliated with but don't currently carry their headphone selection, offer a beautiful headphone (sonically and visually); the ATH-ESW9. That would probably be the closest I could nail for a supra-aural headphone that has a wonderful mid-range for piano, blues, bebop, jazz, etc. It's a very portable headphone, but has been known to be rather fragile and of course those wooden cups are something you wouldn't want to scratch up. Hopefully someone upstairs sees this and orders them for Future Shop, but you can order directly from Audio-Technica.

If you have any more questions, we'd be happy to help!

---

Evan
Coordinator
Future Shop 619 - Markham East
Contributor
Ricky

Yes you can try the headphones made by AKG or Sennheiser HD 650. I have no experience with Sennheiser cause i havent tried them myself, but i have heard the AKGs and they are absolutely amazing for studio recording and also because your a musician especially classical panist the AKG sound sig is very Soft and neutral sounding, perfect for your usage. I reccomend doing some research online for the AKG K 240 which is a little cheaper than the Bose going for 219.99 or the AKG K 702 which is absoloutely stunning in terms of clarity.

Contributor
Ricky

Im sorry yes you guys carry some audiophile grade headphoes, but i dont think those headphones will be suitable for him, since hes a musician. Im afraid futureshop doesnt carry much high end headphones for professional applications. But he can try out the Sony 7502 professional headphones and see if those suit his needs

Recognized Expert
Evan_F

Hi Ricky,

I wouldn't suggest the Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701/2s due to them requiring an amplifier, which adds on further cost, not to mention their Canadian MSRP is already higher than his budget. I will agree with the AKG K240 being a studio classic and definitely a viable option for piano and classical genres. We used to carry the full Sennheiser HD range (including the HD600 and 650), but they went clearance some years ago.

In regards to Sony's studio options (V6 and V7 series), I am not a fan. The V6 is a another classic option for studio use, but I found it so lifeless and fatiguing that I couldn't ever recommend it for anything other than flat out recording. I haven't heard the V7502s, but if they're anything like the rest of the V7 series, I'd recommend trying the Shure SRH840 over them.

---

Evan
Coordinator
Future Shop 619 - Markham East
Contributor
Ricky

Shure makes great high end earbuds especially their top of the line model that is now updated over the SE530s. Unfortunately Futureshop doesn't carry this model. Shure is fairly new to studio monitoring i wouldnt reccomend them. I would say that AKG would be a great choice to go for studio monitoring and for musicians as well. Bose headphones are definetely not reccomended for studio recording, its targeted towards the consumer market and are not professional headphones. To be honest in terms of sound they are not worth the $349 asking price.

Contributor
Ricky

If he needs the clarity than those headphones are needed and yes if an amp is required than he'll have to purchase one along with the headphones. Otherwise the lower models may not be great for his usage.

Visitor
Jbird

I definately prefer the QC3, I've owned the QC2 then when the QC3 came out I bought those and then I got the QC15 (selling and upgrading along the way), I've since bought the QC3 again and gave my QC15 to my brother for a long flight London-Sydney.

Firstly Bose is not audio-file quality, I have to stress that, I'm a session musician and I've played instruments on albums that you all may have in your collections and there is artificial bass added to my guitars/bass etc that annoys the hell out of me, Bose pumps the bass up on everything so there's alot of and a little mid and top end.

But the Quiet Comforts are nice sound for flights (don't use them anywhere at home or you'll feel queezy) noice cancelling isn't comfortable in a non loud environments.

The QC3 On ear is alot nicer than the around ear QC15 and although I do have a love/hate relationship with Bose the QC3 is the most comfortable headphone ever.

Sound is typical Bose (fake bass, little top end) the noise cancelling works really great, Bose is expensive but resale is amazing, so if you splash out $300 on a pair you can use them for 3 years and retire them on (competitor) for around 210, likewise with most Bose products as they have great resale.

If you want a great pair of comfortable accurate (you hear what was recorded) then I can swear by the Sony MDR-7509HD

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.