Visitor
cjtd

looking for a straightforward ums/msc based player

hi,

i'm looking for a straightforward ums/msc based player, by that i mean that it can act as a removable hard drive drag&drop in or out of the player, no synching required...I'm basing my comparassant here to the m200 since i had one and it did exactly what i wanted. the only thing is, it has a crappy build : http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10071347&catid=10205

the m200 actually even allowed me to drag tunes from the player in a software (ie:winamp)...play the tunes on the computer directly from the player (say i'm at someone's place and want to play music through a computer).
another thing is that if i saved a playlist(m3u file) while doing that and dragged it on the player, it recognized the playlist,

im basically looking for a player 2gb (about) that can do the above...msc/ums, drag in & out of player without synching songs, and playlists like i described

the m200 did all of that, and i really liked it...but it doesn't last...something eventually breaks, so im looking for an alternative which could do the same

thanks a bunch
Emerging Expert
Cayla

Hi cjtd,   How long did the m240 last? What went wrong wi...

Hi cjtd,

How long did the m240 last? What went wrong with it?

I would consider taking a look at the SanDisk Express, and the Creative MuVo.
They both come in 2GB, and feature a direct USB connection making them ideal for use as a removable storage device. They will both work with Winamp (the Express doesn't actually come with software of its own), so they will support m3u playlists and playing through the computer.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
-Cayla
----------------------------------
Mobile Audio Product Expert
027 St James Winnipeg
Visitor
cjtd

thanks, i was curious about the express and heard alot ab...

[ Edited ]
thanks,
i was curious about the express and heard alot about the creative players (wonder if futurshop will get the zen stone plus, hmm), i hope you're right, because everytime i ask a clerk they sound so confident and recommend a player, i try it and its not at all what i ask. I tried the c200 series, not only msc does really work with drago&drop, but it labels all your songs and folders by numbers, discarding the song info. Thats just one of the things that bothered me, but i won't bother you with details, lol.

about the m200s, what usually happen is that a piece inside the headphone jack eventually breaks....it begins by playing audio on one side...then completely goes out...i had trouble with about 2 or 3 and returned them...serious, heh, this would usually happen after 3 months or so, it also froze often. The build isn't great and is kinda flimsy and awkward, otherwise i liked it alot.

thanks again, and let me know if you have more suggestions or ideas

Message Edited by cjtd on 07-04-2007 05:08 PM
Emerging Expert
Cayla

The m240 has had the most problems out of all the players...

The m240 has had the most problems out of all the players we carry. The comments I've gotten from customers is that it's great... while it lasts. What you described are problems I've definitely seen happen to all players, but after a year or two, not just a few months. Some problems with it can be fixed by getting the firmware update through the SanDisk website though.

The Express is definitely pretty sleek looking, and I'm a huge Creative fan. I've never tried to use them through Winamp (even though I use the program myself and have a Creative player), but Winamp specifically claims they support Creative and generic USB players (and if the m200 fell into that classification, the Express certainly should).

That's strange that the c200 series would do that, as it should support id3 tag display. I can only speculate as to why, which doesn't really accomplish anything, so I'll just say that's strange.

Let me know how things work out for you!
-Cayla
----------------------------------
Mobile Audio Product Expert
027 St James Winnipeg
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.